Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 18:16
100% pork rind free

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 215/182.5/180 Female 5 ' 10 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 93%
Default Confused Coffee Lover

Hi guys,
I have heard from a few different people that if you must go to Starbucks while LCing, a breve is your best choice. (For the uninitiated: A breve is a shot of espresso in a cup filled with half 'n' half, whereas a latte is a shot of espresso with 2% or skim milk.)

For 5 weeks I've stuck to plain coffee w/ a small amount of half 'n' half, but this morning I wanted a latte. At our neighborhood coffee stand I purchased a 12 oz breve with a shot of sugar-free hazelnut syrup. It tasted like beautiful, fattening sin.

I started to wonder: how is this a better choice? Is the carb count really that different? I know that Dr. A has a thing against milk (I intend to re-read that section of DANDR, but I haven't yet), but realistically speaking I'm more likely to indulge in a coffee drink than anything else, so I feel that I should be educated about it.

According to Fitday, these are the stats for 1 cup of each:
Half 'n' half -- 10g carb, 28g fat, 7g protein, 315 calories
2% milk -- 12g carb, 5g fat, 8g protein, 121 calories
Skim milk -- 12g carb, 0g fat, 8g protein, 86 calories

It seems to me that for the "price" of 2 more carbs I could get more protein, less fat, and fewer calories (using either 2% or skim). Why is a breve better? I feel like I must be missing the obvious.

I've also heard that some people get soy milk, but I was confused by these two different entries in Fitday:
"Milk, imitation, fluid, soy-based" -- 15g carb, 8g fat, 4g protein, 150 calories
"Milk, soy, ready-to-drink, not baby's" -- 4g carb, 5g fat, 7g protein, 81 calories

Naturally if I bought my own soy milk I would read the label, but at a coffee stand/Starbucks I won't know what they have and there's a big discrepancy there.

So, coffee lovers, come out come out wherever you are! What do you do? Why? (Please do not reply to this post by telling me to give up caffeine. These drinks come in decaffinated too.)
Sponsored Links