View Single Post
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Feb-21-10, 16:06

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Simpson manages all food services on the Hill, including the restaurant, and says it would simply be impossible to accommodate MPs' pleas for Atkins, Weight Watchers or other diets. Rather, he offers heart-healthy selections and leaves it to Canada's elected representatives to choose judiciously. "It's not about cutting out carbs. It's about balance," he says.

Hands-on-ears and LALALALALALALALA!!!
Quote:
The executive chef, who also manages Culinary Team Canada, went on a successful diet in 1995 under the auspices of a local weight-management clinic offered through Ottawa's Civic Hospital. The first 12 weeks consisted of consuming only milkshakes and spending two hours a week listening to experts. He lost 135 pounds and has kept off 100.

But it's a struggle. He recently flew with Team Canada to Germany, where the Culinary Olympics is being held this fall. He didn't eat "too much pig," nor did he drink a lot of the host country's legendary beer. He even exercised. Yet he gained four pounds.

"The problem with being a chef is you're busy," says Simpson, who usually grabs 10 minutes for lunch. Ten minutes isn't long enough for his brain to tell his stomach that it's full, so he drinks a lot of water.

He tries to eat his carbohydrates in the morning. Lunch is usually meat or fish and vegetables. Dinner always includes a head of lettuce in a salad. "I used to live to eat. Now I eat to live," he says.

He also works out, though he hates it. "The key, really, is exercise. If you don't exercise, you won't keep it off."

Hmmm, I think he's lost his line of thought. First it's "cut the carbs" then it's "eat the carbs in the morning" then it's "I'm too busy" then it's "drink more water" now it's "work it off". Talk about neurotic.

Quote:
Karen Barnaby says "low-carbing is the most luxurious way to eat."

Yay Karen! You're right. Yesterday at my weekly Saturday night with my mom, we ate a rib steak with scallops with a hollandaise sauce. All grilled in the pan with butter. It was beautiful. How much would you charge for that at your own restaurant?