#14   ^
Old Tue, Oct-20-20, 11:55

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
No wonder we have mass confusion over healthy lifestyles. This video from last year provides reasons why people are heavier today than in the 1980s based on research from 2015, and it's hard to completely refute some of these reasons because they all have a small element of truth. However, my gripe is that this is a typical hit and run expose providing a bunch of negative reasons and offering nothing in the way of correcting or combating the issue. The likely response from those who aren't skeptical and curious would be to throw in the towel, as the message is there's no way to achieve health and a healthy weight in today's world. Yeah, fat is even glamorous! I say it's irresponsible journalism, but there is no end to these types of "news" reports:

https://www.theatlantic.com/video/i...4/skinnier-80s/

I should also mention that during the 80's, after initially gaining a LOT of weight, I was about the same weight as I am now. I gained the majority of what I haven't lost yet during the very late 70's and early 80's. I continued to gain at a shocking rate in the 90's. Was it because I was more sedentary, and had more snacks available? No, not really. I was running after two kids all day long, and yes, I snacked, but really not much more than I did in high school. It was attempting to eat a low fat, high carb diet that did it. Of course you can only fight the need for essential fatty acids for so long, so there were of course times when I ate excess fats too - but it didn't help that those fats were always accompanied by carbs, usually hearthealthywholegrains, or the supposedly healthy "complex carbs".