#1   ^
Old Sun, May-06-01, 14:26

Plan:
Stats: 250/239/150
BF:
Progress:
Talking

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to this site. I'm so glad that I found it, as I just started a low carbohydrate, low sugar, high protien WOE 2 weeks ago. I was recently diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome with Insulin Resistance. My doctor told me I would have to change my eating habits because it was making me very sick. Not that I ate badly, I've always eaten healthy, but I was eating the wrong types of food for my situation. I started low carbing 2 weeks ago and have lost 11 pounds so far with little effort. It was very difficult when I first started my new plan as I LOVE my carbohydrates! I didn't think I would ever survive not eating potatoes or rice! But here I am, I'm doing great!! Sometimes I still get a little cranky when someone in my family (my dear husband) is eating something that I like (chocolate for example). But, I must say he has been extremely supportive of my efforts. He says he feels guilty when he is eating something that I can't have and still always offers me a piece, but I never accept. I haven't 'cheated' once and I don't intend to either. It's been getting easier with each passing day, I'm still learning what I can eat and learning new recipes. It's easy as far as the supper meal because my husband said that he would eat whatever I have to eat so that I don't have to cook a separate meal. So it has been working out really well. And I have so much more energy and I feel really good. I tried on a pair of my 'old' jeans that I haven't worn for about 8 months...they zipped right up! I tried those same jeans on about 2 months ago and I could barely get them to fit over my hips!! I was so disgusted with myself and of course tried the much hyped 'low fat diet' again. Without any success of course. The scale just stood still or went up. I had know idea at the time that women with PCOS really can't lose weight on a low fat diet. Wish I had have known that a long time ago! I tried a low fat diet about 2 years ago and I lost about 30 pounds, but it was a lot of hard work. I think the only reason the weight really came off was because I did a great deal of walking and biking. My cholesterol and blood pressure have always been high (because of PCOS, but didn't know that at the time). But anyway, I had some tests done when I started my diet and had some tests done about 5 months later to see if my low fat diet had brought my cholesterol down or not. It hardly came down at all!!! I was dumbfounded! How could that be? I hardly ate any fat at all for months and my cholesterol hasn't even come down? I left the doctors office that day so discouraged and dissappointed that I gradually fell back into my old eating habits. I figured 'what's the point'? My weight had come to a dead stand still, my cholesterol levels never moved so why was I depriving myself of all the foods that I loved? Now, 2 years later I ended up gaining back the weight that I had worked so hard to lose. But, I do have a good feeling about low carbing, I know that this is the plan for me and it WILL work.

I'm glad I found this site because it has given me great recipe ideas and good suggestions. I need all the help I can get!

Rilee
Sponsored Links