#64   ^
Old Sun, Aug-01-10, 12:25
Registered Member

Plan: Wingin' it.
Stats: 257/240.0/130 Female 65 inches
BF:yes!
Progress: 13%
Smile

'I doubt Weight Watchers executives sit around in meetings working out more effective weight loss strategies as their primary goal, they work out strategies to increase profits.'

I think they do both. I'd be disappointed if they didn't do both. Weight Watchers is a publicly owned (traded) company: WTW on the NY Stock Exchange! If I was a shareholder, I would absolutely demand it. I own stock in a fast food company.

'you're not going to convince us WW is good and altruistic.'
I think WW is good. I have never even used the word 'altruistic' to describe the organization. None of the low-carb plans or diets I've encountered have been that - they gained popularity as their authors sold their books. I have 'The Hamptons Diet' sitting in my book pile right now. The author's twist on low-carbing: macadamia nut oil. Well, if it works for his patients, good on them!

My point about buying a low-carb diet book is that there are so many of them, varying not a whole lot, and you can buy them very inexpensively at a used book sale. I paid full price for my Atkins diet book, it was that long ago.

'Slimming groups aren't for me, I believe they don't have my best interests at heart, the group setting for me wasn't supportive, I resented the excessive fee and the diet they promote does not work for me.'

And no one would argue that what works for you isn't fine for you. What doesn't work for you does not work for you. You have resentment, sure, but I don't think you would actively discourage people or criticize the diet that they feel comfortable with. Right?

I low-carb (it ends up being *not* VLC but more like lower-carb, low-glycemic carb in my case). And I go to WW. For some reason, although I say those two things are compatible and in my experience have not conflicted at all, I have ended up having to defend that. It's just silly to have to do so. At some point, I have to wonder why people attack WW and the defense of WW (truly surprising because it IS so successful for so many people, just not every single person).

You wouldn't want the same to be done to you about a diet or WOE or even your membership in any organization!