View Single Post
  #50   ^
Old Fri, Apr-05-13, 23:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 172/151/132 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress:
Default How I Raise Ketosis as measured by Ketone sticks

I did Atkins 40 years ago. Followed by decades when I didn't use Atkins at all. I am back to Atkins diet now. Since I am older now it has been more difficult to even get to high ketosis readings. But, I did manage to find a way to get into the high purple area readings.

On the days my readings are low, the pink area, I switch to a liquid diet. I have on hand in the refrigerator 2 quart mason jars of homemade chicken broth.
Previously I made in a large slow cooker that chicken broth.

I have two airpots, a cheap one and a great quality Zojirushi, 2.2 liters each. One gets filled with the chicken broth and the other gets filled with tea sweetened with 1/4 cup of erythritol. The Zojirushi will keep the liquid steaming hot for a minimum of 12 hours, the other not so much. I place my airpots near me and my computer or wherever I am working.

The airpots keep me from visiting the kitchen, which could bend my will to stay only on liquid nourishment and the chicken broth curbs my appetite until a solid no-hunger state materializes, usually in less than a 1/2 day, and the tea keeps me from drinking espresso which I normally put 1/2 cup of half and half in. When one drinks 5 or so espressos with that much half and half, one gains weight. In fact, that is what got me in my my present state of overweight.

Sometime after the hunger is eliminated, the high ketone burning will appear on the ketone stick. After that I eat solid food or I remain on liquid. I think it is good to stay on the liquid for a while, it cleans out the body system and since I have no hunger at that point it is no problem to do. But I do not stay on liquid for too long a time.

I think it is counterproductive to waste my money and time purchasing low-carb bread and sweet desert replacement items. My goal is to stay away from thinking about food, staying out of the kitchen, and getting off of the diet because I have reached my goal.

Much luck to all of you. Please email me if you find my suggestions helpful.

Love, Susan