View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-16-24, 03:19

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

WearBear …we know you are fat-burner for a good reason, and stick to a therapeutic level consistently, everyday, no "cheats".

There is an interesting discussion on Twitter..long quote to follow but worth it.

Quote:
What's your experience with eating 'fat to satiety'?

I was surprised at how much the below passage from MichaelMossC's excellent book Salt, Sugar, Fat aligns with this chart from our #satiety analysis of 1M+ days of data from free-living humans.

Quote:
Drewnowski started asking questions about fat in 1982. He had a degree in biochemistry from Oxford, and he was hunting for something to focus on as a doctoral student in mathematical psychology at the prestigious Rockefeller University in New York City. The field of nutrition, in which he was interested, was a close-knit world where everyone kept tabs on each other’s work.

He knew that his peers had already trammelled the ground on sugar: He followed Howard Moskowitz's progress in pinpointing the bliss point for sweet taste, read the scientific papers that Szczesniak at General Foods had written on the texture of fat, and saw the rating system she devised that many food scientists used.

In fat, however, he saw an area of research that remained largely uncharted. No one had yet tried to measure with any precision just how alluring it really was. To the contrary, he noticed that scientists who were studying food cravings were making a mistake that could be obscuring the power of fat. They wrongly identified things like candy bars as sugary foods when, in fact, they were also loaded with fat. “I realised that most of the ‘sugary foods’ in our diets were not just pure sugar,” he told me. “They were really linked up with fat.”

Drewnowski devised an experiment. Sixteen undergraduates, eleven women and five men, were given twenty different milk, cream, and sugar mixtures. He then asked them how much they liked each combination; he used his math skills and an early-model computer to sort out their answers.

Two significant findings emerged from the data. Drewnowski knew about the bliss point for sugar and how our liking for sugary concentrations has only gone so far; after a point—known as the breakpoint—adding more sugar only lessens the appeal.

“But there was no bliss point, or break point, for fat,” Drewnowski told me. The sixteen people in his experiment never once cried uncle in working their way through the increasingly fatty mixtures. Fat, no
matter how rich the food was, was so pleasing to their brains that they never gave the signal to stop eating. Their bodies wanted more and more fat.

“The more fat there was, the better,” he said. “If there was a break point, it was somewhere beyond heavy cream.”

The second finding concerned the relationship the fat had with sugar. He found that the heaviest cream tasted even better to his subjects when he added a little sugar. Something about this combination created a powerful interplay. They boosted one another to levels of allure that neither could reach alone.

Given the vast numbers of grocery shelves loaded with sugar and fat products, Drewnowski assumes that the processed food industry was already aware of this synergy, if only in broad, practical terms. Still,
being inquisitive, he had yet more questions to ask and answer.

Was the brain being the body’s servant in extreme gluttony, seeing fat as the best way to store energy for emergencies down the road? Or was there something else going on between the sugar and fat? A few years later, Drewnowski had fifty college students taste and rate fifteen different formulations of cake frosting in which the sugar and fat content was varied. The tasters could taste and quantify the sugar content of each sample quite accurately, but not the fat content; the participants in his study found it difficult to detect its presence with any precision.

"On top of that, when sugar was added to the fattier formulations, the students mistakenly thought the fat had been reduced. In effect, the fat had gone into hiding. This meant the food manufacturers could use fat as an allure in their products without worrying about a backlash from people’s brains, which they do with abandon.

Many soups, cookies, potato chips, cakes, pies, and frozen meals deliver half or more of their calories through fat, and yet consumers won’t identify these as fatty foods, which is great for sales. For some extra insurance on this, all the manufacturers have to do is add a little sugar.

Drewnowski published his study, “Invisible Fats,” in 1990, and it showed that fat was a double-edged sword when wielded by the processed food industry. In certain circumstances and with certain foods, manufacturers might be able to reduce the fat content without causing a significant drop in the product’s allure. (Adding more sugar might be needed to maintain the allure depending on the product.)

On the other hand, these same manufacturers could crank up the fat content as high as they wanted, and unless people studied the nutrition label carefully, the
fat would get eaten in bliss without setting off any alarms in the body’s system that help regulate our weight by telling us we are eating too much.

“A dish or a drink could be very high in fat, and people wouldn’t be aware of it,” Drewnowski said. “So it can cut both ways. Good if you’re reducing fat, and not so good if the diet is already heavy in fat and people aren’t aware of it. Fat is trickier than sugar. My point, back when I did my studies, was that in these mixtures of sugar and fat, you find that most of the calories come from fat in so many products. I had this disagreement years ago with researchers working on the hypothesis that obesity is caused by carbohydrates, which is what sugar is.

They were using Snickers bars and chocolate M&Ms and thinking, ‘A-ha, sweet foods, carbohydrates.’ And my point was, yes, they are sweet, and there is sugar in them. But they are not carbohydrate foods —60 to 70 to 80 per cent of their calories came from fat. The fat was invisible, even to the investigators themselves.”

So, what's your experience? On a calorie-for-calorie basis, is fat the most or least satiating macronutrient?