#43   ^
Old Mon, Mar-09-09, 13:39
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%
Default Dr Cannell's newletter

Dr. Cannell: I am a physician in Georgia. I have a nursing home patient with Alzheimer's who did not speak for over a year. Months after starting on vitamin D3 5000 IU/day, she started answering 'yes' and 'no' questions appropriately. While not generally initiating, she can now carry on a conversation that is appropriate and in sentences. She has not been on any prescription meds. You may know of others that have done this, but I was sure impressed. Should I increase the dose? Peter, Georgia

Yes, increase the dose to 7,000 IU per day and test 25(OH)D levels until her level gets to 70–90 ng/mL. More aggressive treatment is indicated in aggressive diseases. While several studies have shown an association between dementia and vitamin D, two recent studies showed cognition in dementia patients is better in those with higher 25(OH)D levels. As a physician, I'm sure you know the difference between a treatment effect and a cure. Oudshoorn C, et al. Higher serum vitamin D3 levels are associated with better cognitive test performance in patients with Alzheimer's disease. Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord. 2008;25(6):539–43. Llewellyn DJ, Langa K, Lang I. Serum 25-Hydroxyvitamin D Concentration and Cognitive Impairment. J Geriatr Psychiatry Neurol. 2009 Feb 4.
Ultraviolet Light Produces Vitamin D

Thanks to Nancy for posting this elsewhere. I thought this section worth preserving here. Full text with active links here