View Single Post
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-08, 10:09
Registered Member

Plan: Angry Paleo
Stats: 375/205/180 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Heh, you all have bitten off more than you can chew, eh? You've got a lot of work ahead of you if you're looking to discredit a 100-history of Los Angeles community organizing with flippant, bloglike dismissals. Paternalism is an easy call for people who have never seen 20,000 poor Angelinos trying to cram into a city hall council chambers that holds 1,200.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaW
In my mind there is a difference between a vocal group within a community (different than you alluded - "Poor communities" petitioned their elected officials) versus the community itself taking action for change.

What would YOU suggest the poor of Los Angeles do to get their voices REALLY heard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrasdad
it is difficult to imagine your average person walking down the street wishing that Popeye's chicken or Burger King weren't there.

You and I must walk on different streets. I don't know much about Oklahoma or Missouri, but out here in California we get down to business on the stuff we don't like. Thirty-five years ago, I remember telling my Washington aunt that restaurants here had "smoking sections". She thought I was lying.

Community Coalition just made South Central Los Angeles a better place, even in this small way. I suggest we wish them well and pray that our own communities one day have the guts to do the same.