#10   ^
Old Sat, May-29-21, 05:51

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
Still, I didn't do as badly that diet as I did once I was out on my own, eating more processed foods on a somewhat more regular basis, and all bets were off once we hit the low fat, hearthealthywholegrains era.

Just look at the rates of Type II Diabetes from the CDC:

Quote:
The prevalence of diagnosed diabetes increased from 0.93% in 1958 to 7.40% in 2015. In 2015, 23.4 million people had diagnosed diabetes, compared to only 1.6 million in 1958.

And having grown up on the four food groups/home cooking/rare restaurant meals pattern, I can say this was NOT a low-carb diet, by any means. Yet, look at photos from 1958: you have to search for the merely chubby ones.

Of course, their bread was not drenched with weedkiller, and their food was not full of soybean fillers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zei
I don't really know if eating things specific to one's known ancestry is important or not, other than obvious things like whether one can produce enzymes to break down lactose in dairy, which was a mutation common only to certain ethnic groups.

If someone is of African-American descent, it can:

Quote:
As a clinical entity, sickle cell anemia (SCA) is known to be relatively rarer in Africans than in the African-American population of the United States. Paradoxically, sickle cell trait (SCT), the non-anemic, heterozygous condition, is about three times more common among indigenous Africans than in African-Americans. The ratio of SCA to SCT is 1:50 for African-Americans, and less than 1:1,000 for tropical Africans. This etiological disparity is attributed to an anti-sickling agent, thiocyanate, (SCN-) found abundantly in staple African foods, such as the African yam (Dioscorea sp) and cassava (Manihot utilissima). Staple American foods have negligible SCN-concentrations. Nonstaple foods in the American diet, such as carrots, cabbage, and radishes, have SCN- levels far below the African yam and cassava. This finding explains the high incidence of SCA among African-Americans and its rarity in Africans.

Anti-Sickling Effect of Dietary Thiocyanate in Prophylactic Control of Sickle Cell Anemia

Sickle cell is a gene which creates resistance to malaria. A definite survival advantage in areas with high malarial incidence. The side effect is slow absorption of certain nutrients. Which their traditional diet handles in a way that increases health.

If anyone has health issues, and I sure do, I think this effect might get "turned up to eleven." I grew up on the Four Food Groups with no known issues, as a healthy child with no weight problem.

But that's not me, anymore. I now have to avoid a lot more elements, for whatever reason. But I least I know what they are.