Old Wed, Jul-26-17, 11:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/LCHF
Stats: 209/185/185 Male 69
BF:reducing
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeypie
I have no thyroid issues, am not menopausal, and am 5ft 11 with a VERY considerable amount to lose.

On regular induction, with <20g carbs per day, a limit on dairy, and calories at 1500-1700, I could barely, and I mean BARELY lose 5 lbs per month.

I could see how wt loss would be slow with that.
I'd certainly try to eat more %fat and less protein.

Quote:
I am now for the last month on NO cheese, NO cream, NO seeds, NO nuts, and carbs <10g total per day, and mostly just from pickles, cucumbers, or a couple of radishes, NO artificial sweeteners, NO diet soda, NO lc "treats" of any kind, and on a TOTAL hard limit of 1200 kcal per day. That is, the choices are: egg, or some other protein, and a very small <5g vegetable as a condiment. And I MAY hit 8 lbs loss this month, instead of 5 lbs.

Wow. Your dedication is amazing. Keep it up !!!! (Thanks for sharing your story).

As I said already, you might want to determine what are your percentages of fat and protein. I firmly believe fat keeps your insulin low and that is when the real weight loss begins. The more you reduce your low carb diet's protein ... the more weight you will lose.

I have tried a few days of "cheese only" (and a bit of salad) and I found it not entirely satisfying. But have only small experience with it.

One interesting way to look at things is Dr. Fung says you'll lose 15lbs in a month "if you fast for the whole month". 1/2 lb a day (say 1700 calories). Note: I am not advocating that, I'm just using the numbers.

For me, I did fast a bit. I fell into it and didnt do it on purpose. And I found I wasn't hungry despite fasting. YMMV.

You may consider eating windows like only eating from noon to six PM. (aka Intermittent Fasting 18:6.

You should experiment around and try various things (as you have been doing). But you can't stray too far from your comfort zone. If you think intermittent fasting is bad for you ... it will be. The mind is a powerful thing.

Quote:
...but women, even hormonally, provide a more accommodating genetic environment in which fat can accumulate.

I'd love to see if there is "proof" of this type of concept. And what hormones are different ? Do women have a higher insulin resistance ? Are carbs 4.2 cal/g for women and 3.9 cal/g for men ? Are carbs 4.3 cal/g for women who are overweight and 4.1 cal/g for men who are overweight ? Do women "feel worse" when they calorie restrict to "force them" to eat ? Do women find the power to lose weight when their relationship fails ? or is that a myth too ?
Do women actually have "more of a sugar addiction" (ie. chocolate) than men do ? Why ? or is that a stereo type in women's trashy magazines and people now believe it ?

Very complicated.

Are men and women more similar in weight loss before their hormones kick in ? Do women who become men (and take testosterone injections) find it easier to lose weight ? Do they have a higher BMR ? Does the average man dieting eat more fat and less carbs than women dieting ? Do menopausal women (with less estrogen) have a harder or easier time losing weight ? If estrogen made teenager girls more likely to gain weight, why would losing estrogen also make it harder to lose weight ?