#4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-21, 10:25

Plan: Lowcarb/IF
Stats: 215/173.9/150 Female 5.5"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowjax
Hi Gwynne. I remember your name from a long time ago, but don't know if we interacted much. I'm back on the board after several years off.

(...)

I guess this falls more into the personal thoughts/experiences than some of the science and research you were looking for, but I hope it's a bit helpful.

And yeah... CICO doesn't work the same for everyone and isn't the answer to every question. Reddit can be wrong.

And welcome back!

Thank you very much. The personal thoughts help a lot. Actually, your post and Werebear's reminded me of an important element to all this: I had to figure it out for myself the first time around, too. Expecting there to be a magic bullet, like ten years = all questions are now answered via research, was pretty silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Hi gwynne2! Thanks. It turns out my dreams WERE too big! At least as far as goal pants go...

(...)

Which is why none of them agree. There is no one answer.

There's only YOU. And what works for YOU.

(Snipped both posts for space.)

Both of these were so helpful to me. (Thanks Werebear for taking the time to type out your whole story.)

Last night I had at least part of the epiphany: what got me set on the right path in the first place was Good Calories, Bad Calories. I checked in to see what Taubes was up to, and bought his most recent book (well, audiobook). So I'm listening to that. I'm also continuing to search my memories for what I actually ate during my loss phases (I had two major loss phases, 215-175, then about a year plateau/"screwing around", then 175-goal and beyond). And the answer is: lots of animal fat sources, mostly red meat, and a fair amount of avocado. Desserts were usually sugar free cheesecake. Vegetables were broccoli or asparagus. Occasional indulgence meals were carbonara (with Dreamfield--I know), loaded with bacon, eggs, cream and cheese. I ate salmon with hollandaise. If I ate chicken breast, it was roasted on the bone, then eaten with a mushroom cream sauce.

So, seemingly, the Atkins/Taubes style basics are what worked for me back then. I know I may not be able to eat exactly the way I did ten years ago, but whatever caused me to think I needed to eat giant kale salads and avoid red meat and dairy is something I definitely need to think about. While listening to Taubes.

Last night I went out to buy a steak. Couldn't find a decent ribeye, bought a filet. Almost no fat on it, so I made a peppercorn cream sauce. Cooked the steak in butter. Starting about two hours later, my body decided to dump a bunch of water weight (i.e., frequent bathroom trips), and then I had one of those 1.5lb weight dips this morning, something I haven't seen in forever. (I know it was almost certainly coincidence, but still.)

Anyway, thanks again for the replies!