View Single Post
  #60   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-14, 06:11

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

My first ever bone broth was pretty good, though it had as much fat as gelatin. I forgot if I was supposed to skim that off? Would it be acceptable to just add some beef gelatin maybe? This is something I've been taking plain in water for some time. It helps me sleep better through the night I've noticed and I was also hoping for some joint help. Haven't noticed anything there, though.

I've done two 36 hour fasts this week and would like to do another today but am leaving myself the 24 hr option too, as those last 12 hours were the worst, especially the night time hours when I didn't sleep well. I can hardly believe I'm successfully fasting! So far I've had 1 TB coconut oil a day, the juice from one lemon each day, and last time I had two cups of bone broth and 1 cup of green tea as well, besides tons of water. I'm not a green tea fan, or any tea for that matter, but I bought a bunch of teas yesterday. (Couldn't find the one you recommended, Janet, but have something similar). I wanted something I could put cinnamon in and/or also cream as I don't drink coffee. I think the addition of some cream in a decaff tea could get me through those last 12 hours of the 36 hr fast.

So, far I'm liking the fasting quite well and since all of Dr. Fung's patients have said the first month is the hardest, I'm looking forward to just how cool it might yet be. On my eating days, however, I feel like I'm eating too much and maybe that is one adjustment that comes with time.

Last night I forced down the 2 TB vinegar before bed. The straw really helps. I forgot to take my BS yesterday but otherwise it's been 125 after an eating day and 110 in the morning after a fast day. Yesterday was an eating day, and after the vinegar, this morning it was 110. Saturday is my official weely weigh in day, and so far I've been up and down whether it was post fast-day or not, but today I am down 3 lbs on a post-eating day, which I think is encouraging.

Re the whey and insulin, I thought it was on this list but see that it's not. http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/66/5/1264.full.pdf
It must have been on a study linked somewhere because I'm picturing it on a page somewhat like that one. But anyway, Dr. Fung just responded to someone who commented on his last blog post:

Quote:
The whey protein will stimulate the incretin effect (much as the the DPP4 class of drugs) and therefore will lower blood sugar. However, you must ask yourself what is the point of decreasing blood sugars? It has been proven that lowering blood sugars in type 2 diabetes does not improve health. At its core, type 2 diabetes is a disease of too much blood sugar. Any treatment that does not remove sugar from the body is not likely to be helpful. whey protein may decrease blood sugar, but what happens to that blood sugar? The higher insulin levels created by the whey will help to store the sugar in the liver, causing fatty liver. This in turn leads to insulin resistance and increased fat. Is that good? You are simply moving sugar from the blood, where you can see it to the liver, where you cannot see it.
http://intensivedietarymanagement.com/incretin-effect/

I've learned to not use whey protein in smoothies because it always made me feel like crap, but have been using a little when called for in recipes for "bread" and other baked goods. I wonder if egg white protein could be substituted instead?