Old Thu, Sep-07-17, 09:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 216/177.5/156 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 64%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godhelpme
I have lost weight on this diet, about 8-10 pounds in the couple of weeks I have been on it. However, i have continued eating in the same way I just added more low-carb veggies and now I have gained back the weight (about 5 lbs). It makes me want to cry. I feel like I am doing it wrong but everything I eat is in-line with Atkins. What is going on? Is it water weight? I have only been on it a couple of weeks so maybe I should just be patient? Please give me the low-down on how to do this and how to do this right. What do you eat and how much and what times? How long until this works? I thought I had it down pat but now that I've gained 5 lbs I am not so sure. I just want to lose weight.

I know you wrote this a couple of weeks ago but I wanted to respond that you are my new best friend. I wrote something http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=478079. I read the above article and decided to ignore the scale for a few days. Sure enough, after putting pounds back on, they came off again.

I'm someone who has a very, very hard time just taking things on faith so, no matter how many success stories I read, I always have that nagging thought in the back of my mind, "OMG, suppose I'm one of those people for whom this plan doesn't work? I'm going to be stuck here forever!" Nevertheless, I persisted, since I've done the yo-yo thing more times than I can count. I'm really good at losing weight, but those pounds always find me, and they bring friends and neighbors.

I guess what I'm trying to say is what everyone else told me: Your body knows what it's doing. The scale is only one measurement and there is a good possibility that it will make you nuts. We like the scale because it gives you an absolute number that's easy to measure, whereas most of the other figures are either subjective or involve a needle. Please, please keep at it. Read, and reread, the article above. It's true. If you drink more water, you will gain weight at first, but your body will adjust. If you eat a big meal, it wouldn't matter if the meal had no calories, since the food still has weight. Your body knows that that weight won't stay around for long, but the scale doesn't.

I'm not a particularly patient person, and I hate the idea that it could take several months before my body entirely adjusts. But I plan on being here six, twelve and eighteen months from now, and I bet you do, too. Please give it time, since we know that the "starve yourself, exercise a ton and hope for the best" method doesn't work. It's a lifetime strategy, not a short-term diet. Good luck!!!

Mike