View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-26-20, 08:10

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%
Default The Fats Making Us Sugar Addicts

I am sure a lot of us have wondered about the fat & sugar combo that makes our trigger foods so irresistible.

This article by Dr. Cate comes from her participation in Quit Sugar Summit 2020, which took place in late spring.

Quote:
If you’re ready to extract your sweet tooth, lets get you up to speed on the difference between the two kinds of addiction and how fixing the metabolic addiction to sugar can’t happen while your diet is full of the kinds of fats that drive metabolic sugar addiction in the first place.

I wrote about this in Deep Nutrition in a somewhat self-congratulatory manner, as if getting off sugar can be simple for anyone who has truly made up their mind to do it. But it wasn’t until after publishing the book that I realized sugar addiction goes way beyond willpower and the only reason I could get off sugar was that I’d fixed my metabolism by first getting off the oils that drove me to sugar in the first place.

The Fats Making Us Sugar Addicts

Dr. Cate is, above all, fierce about the dangers of high-PUFA fats.

Quote:
I didn’t know it at the time but my blood tests were shockingly bad. I had a fasting blood sugar of 113, and my HDL was embarrassingly low at 29. The symptoms I got when hungry, the blood tests, and my obsession with chocolate were all warning signs of a damaged metabolism and they were all coming from the same cause: a lifetime of high-PUFA seed oil consumption.

I got a dramatic improvement from my chronic inflammation issues when I started mindfully cutting down my own high-PUFA intake. I've cut out seeds themselves when they seemed to be part of my joint issues. I think this is highly pertinent to the low carb community. Our recognition of healthy fats must include things like mayonnaise, salad dressings, and other products which are low carb, but high-PUFA.

Quote:
So by the time I made up my mind that I was going to cut out sugar, my metabolism was healthy enough to fuel with my body fat instead. Because I poured so much cream in my coffee, I had energy to burn all morning. Eventually I realized I didn’t even need to bother with lunch. Meanwhile, the anxiety, irritability and late afternoon fatigue that I’d come to accept as part of how I was wired had completely melted away. It turns out those bad moods and tendency towards laziness were just manifestations of a sugar dependent metabolism.

She goes into the science of it in the article, which has lots of other good info. So if we are counting carbs, fighting cravings, and baffled about a roadblock in our path, it just might be the "healthy" PUFA fats still lurking in our diet.
Sponsored Links