View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-04-18, 07:19

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I sort of agree with him on the "toxic environment" thing but disagree on a lot of what he thinks actually makes it toxic. The case against conventional meat, or for grassfed vs conventional meat is pretty weak. That "body by K-Mart," is body by WalMart any better? Because I'm pretty happy with mine. Quality matters, but frankly the most obviously effective quality of my diet that affects my health positively is the macronutrient content.

When it comes to alkaline nutrition--which? You can spare some potassium with sodium, but the various alkaline electrolytes aren't exactly interchangeable. Same with antioxidants, the ones that are vitamins, beyond being in the antioxidant class, also have fairly specific functions in the body, which is why they're all individually vitamins rather than being conditionally essential nutrients.

Quote:
If the plants use that stuff to defend themselves against pathogens, it can't possibly be any better for us when we eat it. Plants can't run, they can only defend themselves by become toxic, especially to animals who eat them.

I don't feel comfortable with first principle-ing my way to "plants are bad, animal foods are good." Currently I'm zero plant except for coffee and tea and diet cola. I'm doing better, but that doesn't mean there isn't some plant on the planet that would do me some good. Poisoning us isn't the only thing plants can do to protect themselves, and it's not like animals don't develop protection vs. plant toxins over long periods. Of course our brain is one, other animals develop a higher tolerance to tannins, we found ways to decrease the tannins in gathered plants, ways to free up niacin in corn so we wouldn't get pellegra, etc. Blueberries and raspberries very clearly aren't trying to kill us very hard, if at all.