#15   ^
Old Thu, May-21-09, 13:21

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby3
Maybe I should just forget about the cholesterol issue.

Yes! You have bigger fish to fry. There's very little conclusive data about cholesterol anyway.

I find that things get a lot less confusing if you consider the source. Most sources of information that say that meat is bad, fat is bad, or carbohydrates are good are based on the lipid hypothesis of Ancel Keys. This hypothesis is fundamentally incompatible with the idea that eating low-carb is healthy, so if you accept it you are bound to be confused. A combination of personal experience and plenty of low-carb reading has helped me decide what to think of the lipid hypothesis (and the competing "carbohydrate hypothesis"). If you haven't made up your mind yet, it might help to tackle this big question first before you examine the details.

"Good Calories, Bad Calories" is mostly about how these two hypotheses came about and what evidence exists to support them. While I agree with Fallon and Enig on most things, their writing style and facility with the facts tends towards the fanatical. Taubes is much more level-headed and scientific about the subject.