#14   ^
Old Sun, Jul-04-04, 10:35

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithridate
Even if the basic point that building extra muscle does not burn an appreciable extra amount of calories is true (no more than a cookie per day, for instance) and even if exercise only adds a few months to one's lifespan (which I question, I would think it adds much more) still there are other benefits from exercise beyond weightloss.

For one, there's the quality of life. Exercise, particularly strengthtraining can keep one from lowing bone mass in later life, can strengthen joints, delay or minimize the effects of arthritis. You can still do those hikes through the mountains or climb the stairs for many more years that one who doesn't exercise. In other words, the Quality of Life improves significantly even if the length of life on increases a little. Then, as the author says, you can look a lot better in a swimsuit or anything else with intense exercise.

I have read other articles that also state that exercise adds only a few months at best. But like Mithridate, I also believe that exercise greatly increases the quality of one's life. I know people in their 80s who have never exercised and have been unhealthy and full of aches and pains for years. They take lots of medicines for all sorts of aliments. I also know people in their 80s who have exercised most of their lives and are still active and healthy and fully enjoying life and not on drugs (a much small number of people). I would much rather be in the later group. Of course I am one of those who enjoys exercise.