View Single Post
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-18, 07:11

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

The Paleo(tm) diet is not generally based on the diet of peoples in the "Paleo era." The modern form of this diet as championed by Loren Cordain and others is based on people in the modern era who were still living at a paleolithic level, it looks at the diets and lifestyles that they were living and what sorts of disease outcomes they had.

The lifespans are horribly skewed by infant mortality and infectious disease (largely one and the same). The causes of these outcomes are well-known and carbohydrate deprivation certainly isn't one of them.

[QUOTE]Several short-term studies among small groups of people (often with no control groups) suggest that the Paleo diet is more effective than the Mediterranean approach at promoting weight loss and reducing risk factors for Type 2 diabetes and coronary heart disease. Still, my vote goes for the more flexible and far more thoroughly researched Mediterranean diet.[/QUOTE]

Too bad it doesn't come down to a vote.

The blue should be followed by a call for more research, not for a vote on a question that she's claiming there isn't enough data to answer.

Also, a low carb or ketogenic diet is probably at this point better-studied than a paleo diet--perhaps making at least some of the fruits and vegetables Brody praises the most controversial part of Paleo. I know years ago, reading Paleo stuff online and then upping my fruit (basically wound up on Atkins plus fruit), I ended up with the highest blood pressure of my life.