View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-13, 10:56

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

The ratio will vary from person to person. The best advice I got was to keep carbs low (for me 30-40 per day), eat adequate protein (100 g per day) and enough fat to keep me from being hungry.

I love Jenny Ruhl for her advice on blood sugars, but I personally think her protein recommendations are too low. Unless you have known blood sugar problems and are not controlling it and/or losing weight even by reducing carbs to 30 g per day (per Bernstein), you don't have to restrict your protein as much as Jenny suggests.

I personally think Dr Donald Layman (a researcher who concentrates on protein) has the best advice about protein: 30 grams per meal, 3 meals per day. He feels everyone regardless of size needs this much (to avoid loss of lean tissue), and he feels it needs to be spread out throughout the dat. I've recently increased my protein per his recommendations and I'm losing better than I did when I was eating less. Perhaps because I don't get as hungry between meals and am not tempted to eat high fat (and high calorie) snacks.

Here's an interview with Laymon by Jimmy Moore. Moore is currently eating lower protein than Layman recommends, so he sounds skeptical at times. I, however, was convinced:

http://www.askthelowcarbexperts.com...-donald-layman/