View Single Post
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-04, 09:47

Plan: Montignac
Stats: 118/112/105 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 46%
Default Tackling IBS the low-carb way

It's a great inspiration to hear all your stories. Other than my IBS I am fit and healthy, but my bloated stomach makes me constantly want to hide my body rather than show it off. I've had IBS for as long as I can remember but only had it 'diagnosed' age 20 when it got really bad. Two years later I'm still trying to control my symptoms, through diet. I've done montignac (energy was great but far too much fibre), Atkins (symptoms better but couldn't cope with ketosis - see below), high carb really plain diet (just basmati rice and steamed meat, fish and veggies which was great on IBS symptoms but rubbish for energy) and now following body-for-life food plan (great for energy but IBS getting worse).

When I went low-carb (Atkins, without artificial sweeteners) it did reduce my symptoms significantly but I had two problems with it:

1) I do alot of exercise and found it impossible to sustain my performance and regime whilst in Ketosis.

2) A deficiency in nutrients - particularly vitamin C - my IBS means I have problems absorbing nutrients properly as it is, so I start getting vitamin C deficiencies as soon as I cut out fruit.

I'm seriously considering having another stab at tackling IBS the low-carb way so need solutions for the above - have any of you had similar problems, and have you any advice on how to counter them? In particular do any of you low-carb it without being in ketosis?

My New Years resolution is to be symptom free by the end of the year so all advice much appreciated!