#10   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-14, 03:58

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo
Wow thanks for the info!! I did some research before I started (again) doing LC because I thought for a nanosecond that I might be a tiny bit interested in wls -- but I had no medical conditions except being morbidly obese that would qualify me (I am "text book" healthy except for the FAT part). I knew about the supervised diet 6 months prior to surgery -- in some cases I read that it was LC -- guess depends on the type of surgery and the surgeon as you mentioned above. And I knew post wls, that kcals were very limited and that it was kinda -LC. And I was too cheap to pay for it out of my own pocket and it would STILL not teach me how to eat properly for my carb-sensitive metabolism.

After all my research and under the supervision of my doctor, I decided to do LC my way (I've ALWAYS lost tons of weight but gained it back 'cause I never finished the plan). I restricted my kcals to 800 per day and 6 grams of carbs. I figured if it was good enough for post-wls peeps, that was good enough for me!

I know that under Atkins, one is not concerned about kcals -- at least not in A '72. But I needed the data because I am an overeater -- I can literally sit and graze all DAY LONG and I have portion control issues. I don't know about you, but I love the sensation of being "full" when I am done eating -- so I only eat one meal a day, in the late afternoon.

It will be a year on 5 July (My Independence Day from FAT Jo) and I have lost 142 lbs. I am now in maintenance (which I have never accomplished before but I will this TIME) at <1400 kcals and 10-12 carbs daily. I have not lost or gained a pound in 28 days... I didn't feel this awesome in my 20s, 30s or 40s!!! So the 50s, is the new 30s for me!

Sorry this was so long...

It sounds like you've got a good handle on things and you have made a HUGE accomplishment. Whether we are talking about someone that has lost 150 pounds "your" way (i.e., "diet" alone) or 150 pounds "my" way (i.e., WLS), the challenge is always the long-term maintenance of that loss. Both methods are tools and both methods can be used improperly and both methods require long-term commitment in order to achieve long-term success. While it is probably easier for post-WLS patients to maintain, there are certainly lots of people that are able to regain most, all, or even more of their weight back despite the surgery.