#9   ^
Old Sun, Mar-01-20, 09:51

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
The fact that even the FDA even allows nutrition labels to be off by up to 20%... You could carefully, and obsessively weigh/measure, and count the nutrition label declared calorie count for every single item you eat, every single day of your life, and still be over your calorie allowance by several hundred calories every single day. Just one more reason why calorie counting simply doesn't work.

I don't think counting calories is useless. But it's not as easy or simple as put out. Bodybuilders seem to be on to this--insistence on CICO being "it" there comes with all sorts of warnings about difficulties like inaccuracies on labels, the tendency for NEAT (I think that's non-exercise activity thermogenesis) to go down when intentional exercise goes up, etc. I don't think you can with exquisite accuracy control calories in versus calories out.

What I often see--first, determine maintenance calories by trial and error. If you're like most people, a creature of habit--you'll probably be eating a limited number of foods that you favour. Say you're eating 2500 calories--that might actually be 2300, or it might be 2700. Cut by 20 percent of calories, while eating more or less the same foods--you might be cutting 460 calories, you might be cutting 540. But as long as it's pretty much scaling down what you'd been eating in maintenance--it's probably going to put you in a deficit. Or what would be a deficit, if you don't compensate in activity or something.

Calorie restriction has never failed for me with weight loss--when I manage to restrict, I lose weight. I make no claims for anybody but me from this. Where it fails for me--when this is my main strategy, later on I end up bingeing. This actually happens not while I'm actively losing weight, but when I get to goal and am thinking about maintenance. I think this actually fits into the insulin hypothesis. If I'm eating 1800 to lose weight, but need to eat 2400 for maintenance--I've just added 600 calories of insulin secretion stimulating food to my diet. Going to more ketogenic food--more fat, even lower carbs, restrained protein--allows me to eat at maintenance without binges. Basically, switching to the least insulinogenic maintenance diet available.