View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Dec-30-17, 12:37

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 192.5/153.5/165.0 Male 5 ft 8 inches
BF:25%/13%/15%
Progress: 142%
Default Stress Eating Cure

In The Stress Eating Cure, Rachael Heller tells the story of the return of her cravings not her weight. (She did not regain weight, and if she ever had, I am sure that we wouldn't know about it, what must have been the strictest secret.) She told her husband about her fear of her cravings because they were as strong as ever and she feared going into a binge that would return her to her old horror. She feared the repercussions of regaining weight after all the books they had written together. It would be the end of everything...their life's work a failure.

Richard realized the implications, and cancelled everything, including an Oprah appearance*, until they could find an answer for this. Was the hyper-insulinemia hypothesis wrong after all? "What in God's name was happening to my wife?"

Rachel went back to her former college for a visit and saw there an old caretaker* who had been so kind to her when she worked at the coffee shop*. He said, "Look at you...and you kept it off all these years!" Then he went on to say what a porker she was then and said so many hurtful things. She was devastated. "If this is what this "kind" man really thought during that time, then why am I trying to please ANYBODY?

Immediately all the cravings were gone! When she told Richard about this, they then began to explore the cortisol connection and developed the stress eating strategy that led to the new book.

Is the hyper-insulinemia theory incorrect? No, but it is incomplete for some people. The hormonal weight/appetite control systems of the human body are complex, confusing, interdependent, and imperfectly understood.