#6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-15-04, 14:52

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 258/223/??? Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by liz175
That's what I keep wondering. How could my doctor recommend weight-loss surgery and the put down Atkins as unhealthy?

It is TRULY bizarre, isn't it?

The problem is that we really aren't seeing the data on the long-term effects of this drastic surgery. They often cite "complication" rates, but hardly ever do you see the "side effects" rates. Complications are generally things that result in more surgical intervention, or death, or something life-threatening. "Vomiting every single day and having the enamel leave your teeth" is a mere *side-effect* you see. Nutritional deficiencies are totally *expected*. So you don't usually hear about those horror stories in the studies. So people go into it with totally inadequate information about what their lives are likely to be like after the surgery.

Now that they are finding out that a lot of the success stories are due to reductions in ghrelin levels, let's hope they find a less barbaric way to accomplish the goal. I truly believe we will look back on these surgeries like we now do on lobotomies.