#8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-04-16, 10:48

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
What a pressure cooker (thanks for the info!) is great for is tough cuts of meat, because the pressure tenderizes them without the day long cooking of a slow cooker.

When I was a little girl, "roast beef" meant a chuck roast that was cooked in the pressure cooker with potatoes, carrots and onions. Obviously, not appropriate for low carb, but I still make it with a few carrots and onions, and cook a potato in the microwave for Husband. It's so very, very good, and with an automatic pressure cooker, you can brown the meat in the pressure cooker, add the veggies, water and seasoning, and then let it go on its own till the pressure drops--only a couple of hours.

If you're impatient, release the pressure as soon as it's done, and the total time drops to about an hour and fifteen minutes.

Older chicken--which we don't really see in the grocery stores, but can be found from local farmers, if you have them--does great in a pressure cooker, too.

The general rule, because they vary in size and shape, is to add about a cup (.25 liters) of water to the pot, and not to fill more than 2/3 of the way to the rim.

Beyond that, just use your imagination. The tougher the meat, the longer the cooking, to break down the fibers that toughen it.

Thanks for all of your tips. We don't have any old hens yet, but when we do, they're destined for the pressure cooker for sure. It seems like people are cooking their lowcarb veggies under pressure too. spaghetti squash looks promising. i did cabbage the other day but it turned to mush. i'm guessing i went too long with it. i keep seeing recipes for cauli-rice etc in the instant pot. i guess it's just a matter of figuring out the timing.