Old Sun, Sep-08-13, 07:00
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
One other thing, Atkins has a much longer history than South Beach. If you read the intro to SBD, you find Agatson mined the literature on low carb and found that it works to improve cardiac and blood sugar markers and health, but he could not get his head around all the fat, especially saturated fat.

So, he set out to "improve" on it and the result is South Beach - what if his "improvements", including low fat milk, legumes and grains, are really detriments rather than improvements?

Yes, I tend to agree with you, Liz. SBD was for me, a gateway to eating in a controlled carb way. I still see it that way now and I didn't for a long time when I started. Part of the reason why it is low fat is that he worked with nutritionists to create it and we all know what 'they' say. His credentials gave it credibility in the medical community.
The low fat aspect of it is actually, IMO, more to do with keeping it lower fat when we raise carb levels. You can't eat higher fat and raise carbs(still be low carb) and still see weight loss. That's been my experience anyway.