View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-18-22, 08:22

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Given that the ketogenic diet, which was introduced several years ago with much hope for general health, has become a lightning rod over the past year+ due to hucksters attempting to sell their versions, some very distorted claims about what constitutes a healthy keto diet, and others who appear threatened by its apparent contradictions to what is currently recommended by the medical and RD communities, I find solace in these findings. While I no longer measure ketones, I eat to encourage fat burning by emphasizing protein, never removing the fat that rides along with the healthy protein sources, and consuming good vegetable sources providing a broad range of micronutrients. Timing meals to not over-stimulate insulin is a major aspect of this. A keto approach can be followed intelligently to achieve the health requirements of the individual. As we are learning with this study focused on MS and previous studies going back many years related to seizures in children, keto can be adapted to help mitigate these conditions. I, too, would like to learn much more.

The term ketogenic can apply to many dietary approaches under other names such as Atkins, low carb, Mediterranean (with imposed food limitations), Whole 30, and Paleo (with imposed food limitations). We are now aware that for those who are fat burners due to low carb, emphasizing dietary protein does not "kick one out of ketosis" due to gluconeogenesis, but blood levels of ketones fall over time when one is fat adapted.