#7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-22-21, 09:40

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zei
Epidemiological nutritional studies = healthy user bias. I recall reading someplace in the past about a vegetarian vs. meat eating epidemiological study someplace in Asia, Taiwan perhaps? No association between vegetarian diet and better health found like is in the U.S. Why? People were vegetarian for religious not health reasons. Americans tend to believe meat and saturated fat is bad so avoid it if trying to do numerous healthy things (that may actually be healthy things). The Asian people apparently had no such belief so no such finding. Interesting.

Excellent point. I spent time in India and one of the things I noticed was that while many (most) of my Indian colleagues were vegetarian, many also had problems with weight and diabetes. The population there is going through much the same in regards to health issues as the rest of the world in dealing with obesity, rampant diabetes, and related health issues. As people in India grow old, these health issues become common and pronounced. You could say that these people are following a plant-based diet with red meat and the fat that rides with it completely off the menu. You also could say that it is due to religious reasons, not primarily done to achieve better health. Vegetarian or plant-based diets alone don't help unless one eliminates sugars, fats from seed oils, and adopts other healthy lifestyle practices. Same goes for low carb of any stripe or type where identification and limiting of healthy fats is essential for balanced energy consumption.