View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-30-10, 18:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/223/180 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress:

I totally have that, and although I ran for a couple years, I had ITB syndrome six years before I even started running. It came on really gradually but it got incredibly painful- and tingly! I thought I had nerve problems!

Since I've begun doing yoga and working out, the IT band has settled down a lot. It's just my left one. I believe it's because my hip muscles were terribly imbalanced; a physical therapist diagnosed that and gave me exercises. The best two I've found for myself are these:

The clamshell, which helps ease and strengthen tight, weak, imbalanced hips- very important to the ITB structure.
The Walt Reynolds ITB Special- it's AMAZING. Probably four or five different doctors, physical therapists and personal trainers gave me that stretch where you put one leg behind the other and lean against a wall- it didn't help at all. The IT band is a toughie to stretch!! But Walt Reynolds hits it on the head, and the pictures help a lot. I keep meaning to make a video of myself doing it(looking terribly silly, I expect) and post it to Youtube- but those directions are solid.

Also, massaging it with a rolling pin(with the help of someone else, if you can swing it) and a heating pad can be helpful. The rolling pin can be quite painful, but it's really worth it.

Good luck!!