Thread: Newly diagnosed
View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-02, 16:43

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Hi, All. I have also been recently diagnosed with PCOS, although I knew I had it for a long time. I'm going with the all-natural approach. I follow TSP (The Schwarzbein Principle) for my eating program and my GYN who diagnosed me put me on Yasmin BC Pills. This is a high-progesterone pill instead of the opposite high-estrogen pill most women are put on. It has done wonders. And I have read that many women with PCOS who are put on this pill do much better. It has helped with cramps, flow, and facial hair. Many other women have tried progesterone cream and found it to help tremendously. I haven't tried that yet. One thing at a time.

However, the main reason I started low-carbing was that I had read that eating more protein would help with PCOS. Before I started TSP, I was getting very sick because I had gone from 1 period every 2 or 3 years to one that wouldn't stop for a year. I was scared.

I started TSP and the pill at about the same time, so I don't know which one has helped me the most. Although, the first pill I was put on (by my internist) was an estrogen-based pill and it caused heavier bleeding and cramps. Within 3 days of being switched to Yasmin all that stopped. I still have break-through bleeding the first week of the hormone portion of the pill, but it is all much milder and the cramps are almost non-existent by comparison.

When I told my GYN about my low-carbing and the weight I had lost in a follow-up appointment, she suggested that I could go off the pill if I wanted to because "most women's periods will self-regulate when they lose weight." That hasn't been true in the past for me. But based on what I read about low-carbing and PCOS, I am inclined to think that it will work for me this time (my past experiences were all with low-fat dieting).

So, when this current course of pills are completed, I'm going off the pill for a few months, at least, to see how I do. The main reason is that I think the pill is slowing down my weight loss. I would like to get below 200 one of these days, but 1 to 2 pounds a month is just a bit too slow .

So, Poigle, welcome to the forum and I would like to make one suggeston: Read The Schwarzbein Principle. This book puts forth more of a holistic approach to low-carbing. Many of us have found it very beneficial. It's a healing program with much less focus on weight loss, but that's why I like it.

Good luck on your endeavours.
;-Deb