#50   ^
Old Thu, Jan-21-10, 12:47
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Oops, missed this.

HDL is great. Trigs not. Any idea why those are so high? Are you taking any supplements? Are you raising your carbs? It could indicate diabetes too. You were fasting right? You really want to be as close to 100% pattern A as possible.

Fish oil should help with the Trigs, I think. Check out Dr. Davis's blog. I suspect if you solve the Trig problem your pattern will shift more towards A. How the Vit. D3 status? Thyroid?

Some of the tests I'm not sure of. Maybe plug them into the search box on Dr. Davis's site and/or http://www.labtestsonline.org/ for a good description. Sometimes the labs themselves have a web site with really good explanations.

You've also got high VLDL too. All in all, I wouldn't feel comfortable with the results of this test.

Just googling on the test names should turn stuff up too, like this:
Quote:
APOB100 is found in lipoproteins originating from the liver (VLDL, IDL, LDL). Importantly, there is one APOB100 molecule per hepatic-derived lipoprotein. Hence, using that fact, one can quantify the number of lipoprotein particles by noting the total APOB100 concentration in the circulation. Since there is one and only one APOB100 per particle, the number of particles is reflected by the APOB100 concentration. The same technique can be applied to individual lipoprotein classes (e.g. LDL) and thereby enable one to count them as well.

It is well established that APOB100 levels are associated with coronary heart disease, and are even a better predictor of it than is LDL level. A naive way of explaining this observation is to use the idea that APOB100 reflects lipoprotein particle number (independent of their cholesterol content). In this way, one can infer that the number of APOB100-containing lipoprotein particles is a determinant of atherosclerosis and heart disease.

Given your high trigs and high APOB100 and the weakness in your pattern A... I'd probably be joining the Track your Plaque program Dr. Davis has, to work on those things. It's a non-profit thing and I think there are a lot of expert members that can help explain these tests and guide you in improving things. Ralph, from the diabetes sub-forum, is really happy with that program. I'm not a member but would join in a heart beat (sic) if I had some questionable test results from a good test like the one you got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melibsmile
Hi Lisa and Nancy. I got the full results of my VAP test today. The results are as follows, with the listed reference ranges if the results were out of range:

LDL 299 (<130)
HDL 71
VLDL 24
TC 394
Tris 132
Non HDL Cholesterol 323 (<160)
apoB100-calc 195 (<109)
LDL-R (Real) -C 257 (<100)
Lp(a) 12.0 (<10)
IDL 30 (<20)
Remnant Lipo (IDL+VLDL3) 45 (<30)
HDL-2 19
HDL-3 52
VLDL-3 (small remnant) 15 (<10)
LDL Density Pattern A

So I was pattern A as expected, which was nice to see. I was about a third of the over into pattern A from pattern A/B, so there is probably still room for improvement. Do you know what any of these other numbers mean? I'm not sure what to make of the Lp(a), VLDL-3, etc. Not sure if the apoB100 number is useful or not since it seems to be calculated.

A few other tests were run. My Free T4 was 1.16, with a range of 0.82-1.77. My TSH was 2.41, Total T3 was 107 (range 83-200). Vitamin D3 was 58, which has definitely improved thanks to my 5000 IU daily. My Vitamin B12 was 712.

I feel like there is definitely something else going on here. My LC diet does not explain why my LDL has doubled in the last year, even as all of my other indicators have improved. I think I need to find a doctor who is willing to do all of the testing that I need. Any thoughts or interpretations are appreciated.

--Melissa

It's hard to know what's going on with the thyroid. 2.41 is kind of a marginal TSH number. Lisa, who can't post here any longer, would tell you you might have a reverse T3 problem, but that takes another test and it's tough to get doctors to test for it. You can however order these tests yourself if your doctor is unwilling. Just post in my journal if you want more info on testing.

There may be something to low carb making us kick out a lot of RT3. I know having lots of estrogen will do that too, so can being on birth control pills.

RT3 is what the body produces when it wants the metabolism to slow down, like if you were starving. It is an inactive form of T3 and binds to the same receptors as T3 does. T3 is the only active form of thyroid (pretty sure). T4 is like a battery, it doesn't do anything until an iodine molecule is striped off and it becomes T3. Not sure what T1-T2, T5-T7 do but they're there!