#11   ^
Old Fri, Jun-12-20, 13:23

Plan: haven't picked one yet
Stats: 142/142/135 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress:

- - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Dear Law, can you post this to the lowcarb forum me?

Dear Staff, for the 2,918,524,699th time (it is possible I am exaggerating), the forum's security software has locked me out. I have tried many times, cleared cache, used different browsers, but I have been through this before and even creating a brand new account with a brand new browser didn't solve it. It simply instantly decides that a/ I am bad and b/ I have tried '5 times' (no I haven't) and must be locked out for awhile. But later, it's the same thing. Really it's like it just decides, "You know PJ, you trying 300 times to get back into the forum is still not gonna change this software's mind. Obviously you are a dangerous bot." :-)

The problem is not just the overly zealous robocop software we have here -- and I understand the forum hack/spam situation very well, I have a forum myself in another topic, it's simply horrible -- it's that there is no way to contact forum staff, if one is locked out, to get help in getting back in. The webmaster address, which I have previously sent to, is clearly not monitored.

So I have two requests, because this is my favorite forum, and I would really like to be able to participate in it more than super-rarely when it magically works for awhile (until I have to reboot my computer and lose my login when my browser closes, then it's all over) -- and I would like other people not to suffer this also, which I know some are and do --

1. Could you please do something to enable my RightNOW user login to get me back in;

2. Could you please create a management solution -- in this case, a fallback solution -- for the problem?

For example, create an email address just for help with this, which will forward to staff(s).
A) option 1, add it to the lockout screen message, "If you keep getting this but you are a registered user, contact ___"
B) if you're worried about spam from that, you could make a link to a simple form like in Wordpress -- which could handle spam and require physical entry... to notify someone on staff for help.

Surely that would take care of the 'fallback' need for when the software, which is very problematic, goes wrong.

Thank you kindly,
PJ