View Single Post
  #341   ^
Old Mon, Sep-28-20, 09:58
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Kelsey and I ran our 5th Richmond Monument Avenue 10K this past Saturday - postponed from last April. Running the race was very different this year. The usual Monument Avenue course was not an option. We had a choice of 4 area parks set up with marked 10K routes, we could run the race anytime between Friday & Sunday, and we had to use a smartphone app to track & report the official results. Kelsey and I chose to run the Henricus Historical Park course. What we didn't know ahead of time was that the first 3 miles were all a slight downhill grade and the return trip was all uphill. Yikes! The Monument Avenue course was just the opposite of that. It was rough trail running, too - with plenty of rocks, steps, mud and puddles. I ran my slowest race ever (83 minutes), but as always I did jog every step.

It took 5 years to do it, but Kelsey did finally beat her old dad in the Richmond 10K. She did not run her best time, either -- but it was faster than me. She kept up with the running all year long, bound and determined to cross the finish line first this year. In 2020 she finally did. She now wears the crown. Good for her.

As for me I have some weight to lose. That was very apparent on that uphill slog through the last half of the 10K. Carrying extra weight uphill was not easy. At mile 5 the hamstrings were screaming. I thought that I might have to walk the rest. I pressed on, though. With only one more mile to go I had to finish properly.