View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 07:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 285/185/150 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 74%

josiekat, have you had your thyroid checked? I've actually been on Synthroid for hypothyroid for years and never had an issue of any kind, but after I quit smoking in January (18 weeks, 6 days, 8 hours, 32 seconds ago LOL) my weight loss came to a crashing halt.

A couple months ago I went to see the Dr. because I was still so tired and having trouble concentrating, and in a nutshell he said smoking can mask a hypoactive thyroid (because of the metabolism increase smoking gives) or keep an already hypoactive thyroid under medicated so when someone like me stops, my thyroid isn't getting that extra boost to compensate. We did a test and sure enough my thyroid counts were off. Now it's been about 2 months and we're still trying to get the proper dosage, but it's getting better. I have high hope when I retest in a couple weeks we'll be looking good on dosages

What all this means though is I was not losing, but instead of sticking in there after finding out my thyroid counts were off I went on a carb bender I'm just recovering from. I've gained about 20 pounds because I lost heart and gave up and now I'm so mad at myself I could spit, but what can one do except start over and keep trudging away at this.

Part of me wants to smoke to get that metabolism up there, but another part, the part that had a dear Aunt die from lung cancer, the part that sees a childhood friend’s mother battling her own lung cancer, those parts are keeping me smoke free. The Dr. said it will get better. I’m going to trust him on this one and I guess if I’ve turned in to super-turtle when it comes to losing so be it. I’m back on program, and the candy and sugar treats are kicked to the curb again!