Thread: Peanuts!
View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-14, 12:24

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I have to exercise portion control for nuts of all kinds. If not the entire container will be a single serving

The amount that fits in the palm of my hand is all I'll allow myself to eat.

The good thing is they usually have a good fat to protein ratio, high fiber, and lower carbs. So they fit in my plan very well.

The bad thing is like all fatty foods, they are loaded with calories. Even though I'm low-carb / low-glycemic, calories do count as well.

Most things we call nuts are not nuts at all in the botanical sense. Peanuts are legumes, Almonds, Pecans, and Pistachios are seeds from drupe fruit, Cashew is the seed from an accessory fruit, Brazil nut a seed from a capsule, Walnuts aren't nuts either but drupaceous. The only actual nuts I've eaten are Hazelnuts and Chestnuts. I don't eat chestnuts anymore because of the carbs.

The only peanut butter I eat is organic, no-sugar added. Maranatha and Arrowhead mills - and not the no-stir kind either because they add sugar.

The sugar in the commercial PB brands make me gain weight, crave more, and cause canker sores in my mouth (I've had them since I was a tot). The organic no-sugar brands do none of that.

Bob