View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-22-09, 02:26

Plan: IF
Stats: 350/235/150 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:generous
Progress: 57%

First of all, congratulations on making the choice to get control of your life. May I suggest as well as reading books from the various diet plans (Protein Power Lifeplan, Atkins, so on) that you read Gary Taubes' Good Calories, Bad Calories. It's a bit weighty, but worth it.

As for induction flu, don't worry about it. I get it almost every time I come back from the land of sugar, and it's not all that bad. While I don't doubt that it is horrible for some people, I don't think that it is a big percentage. Often, I hear people whinge about induction flu, but often these people don't really want to be on low carb at all (or any restrictive way of eating for that matter). It is sometimes used as an excuse to eat bread and cereals (which leads to cakes, sweets, take-outs, etc.). Again, I don't doubt some people have a hard time adjusting, but frankly, when you're super-morbidly obese (as I was at one time as well), living is hard. What I notice more than feeling tired/vaguely ill a few days in is that after a day or two I stop getting heartburn, my joints stop hurting as much (or at all), I start to have more endurance.

If I were you, I'd choose Atkins. Read the book (get an older version used if possible). Do induction perfectly. Eat a salad every day as some of your carbs. Measure everything. Don't use pre-made low carb crap like bars and shakes. Record what you've eaten either here on My P.L.A.N. or on Fitday. I am not on Atkins now, but not because it's not a good diet.

I wish you the best of luck. Is your girlfriend going to try low carb as well? Believe me it helps, and if she is going to be cooking your food, she definitely needs to understand the perimeters of the diet you end up choosing.