View Single Post
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jul-19-19, 09:46

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Quote:
The good news is that we are able to regain control over these conditions once the root cause is understood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Well doesnt that apply to a "disease" .
I think it does. Consider all those cases of T2 diabetes that are entirely in remission from cutting back carbs. People have regained control once the root cause was understood.

I think obesity is definitely a medical condition. I don't like the idea of classifying obesity as a disease, because, from my understanding of what I have read, it is a symptom, not the disease itself. The issue is what it is a symptom of: It's been considered a symptom of gluttony and laziness, when it's really a symptom of excess carbohydrates, diabetes, metabolic disorder, and not eating the way evolution intended us to eat. There is also a genetic component to it. But carrying one or copies of the FTO gene or a variation in the Panx1 gene or other variations we don't know about yet will significantly increase your tendency towards obesity. But obesity is still a symptom of those genetic variations.

If you engage in a lot of high risk sports and you injure yourself a lot, those injuries are not a disease. Those injuries are medical conditions that need to be treated (broken bones, etc.). We have a very clear understanding of the cause and effect: If you go skateboarding and play rugby every day, you're going to get hurt. But far too many people (including the medical community) don't have a clear understanding of the cause and effect of the food we eat and the medical conditions that might result.