View Single Post
  #59   ^
Old Thu, Sep-28-06, 12:09
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Wow! Alrighty. Using Bob's Red Mill 'ground golden flax meal' - which I might add is like a year old and was not refrigerated BUT was in airtight bags inside a closed box all that time, and it seems ok -- I made this recipe.

Modifications:

1 - I used only one (large, not medium) egg, and added 1 tsp sour cream and 1 Tbsp cream cheese to replace that.

(Trivia: I had the idea that butter and cream cheese could go in the same little tiny bowl to soften/melt. HAHAHA. In a few seconds, the cream cheese had melted to nearly nothing and was making massive noise popping from the fat, and the butter was nearly unaffected.)

2 - I added 1/2 tsp caraway seed. I love Rye bread and I thought that would help it taste like that. (USDA says 1/2 tsp caraway seed has 0.52 carbs and 0.4 fiber.)

3 - My microwave chronically overcooks everything to tasteless so, in my worry, I cooked it in 15 second increments to 2:25 and finally stopped, worried I'd overdo it. It was done but it wasn't very firm (it was fine for spreadable but had to be held underneath, carefully) so I think next time I will do it to 2:45 and see if I can get to 3 minutes without killing it.

As a note, I cooked it in a 6 inch round clear plastic bowl of the kind you buy to store things in.

It came out rather thin, by which I mean, I think I'd need to use my meat slicer to get four slices from this let alone 8. Perhaps that is the lack of a second egg?? If I sliced it the other direction (vertically) they'd only be an inch tall. So I just sliced it in half longways.

I mean, with a fragment added for the sourcream/creamcheese and caraway -- that is still only like 2 carbs and and 10g protein, I'm not complaining.

My family has a spread we call "toastez" spread, which is colby-jack mix, shredded finely, some grated fresh garlic to taste (we worship it so we use way more than most would), and enough mayo to mix that together into a slightly creamy but still kinda thick (you could almost sculpt it) spread. (If you like garlic and cheese you'll like it but if you're not into garlic forget it, it's yucky without it.) We usually serve this on toast with hot peppers very-thin sliced on the top (thai and cayenne and jalapeno and hot banana being faves, but we also use various sweet peppers).

I put a dose of toastez spread and peppers on one these slices.

It was GREAT! Holy cats! I was thinking wow, I was ready to be happy if it was even EDIBLE let alone good, but I was amazed that it really tasted good! full stars rating!

(Mind you, I would eat a volkswagon if it had toastez spread, so maybe you should let that temper how seriously you take me...)

Actually we have another spread we commonly use, if anybody's interested. You take cooked chicken and shred or chop it, add pesto and mix it up, add chopped peppers and a little extra parmesan. Mix the quantities so the final result is spoonable but thick. Spread some on bread (LC of course!) and sprinkle a little mozarella (or shredded parmesan) on the top and put it in a toaster oven (or equivalent) for about 10 minutes. It's ridiculously yummy.

DiGiorno makes the best brand of pesto I've ever had. I've had many. Might be good to make it at home for LC purposes though, though I admit we've never gotten close to the quality of their taste.

THANK YOU for posting this recipe! This rocks!