Registered Member

Plan: Eclectic
Stats: 162/160/135 Female 5'4
BF:33%/31%/25%
Progress: 7%
Default Heart Rate Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbeyers
Howdy all .... I, too, am a runner and I use a Polar heart rate monitor. The HRM is almost as important as my running shoes. I feel naked without it. I have seen many posts that suggest using 220- your age to determine max heart rate. I am 43 years old and I regularly get to 178 bpm during easy 60 minute runs. If it is very hot or a very long run - say 13.1 mile, then I have been as high as 182. I feel that one should judge his max heart rate by personal experience, which takes into effect the type of exercise, the duration and intensity of the exercise and weather conditions.

I am glad you wrote this. Perhaps you all cold help me in this area. I don't know much about the heart rates and hadn't worried about it much until recently - I just enjoyed a run for the run and part of it for me was trying to run as fast as I could b/c I like that. I also like staying in the beat of a song. Anyway, I've been checking my heart rate lately with some of the Polar tools and it was 173 and 178. The chart guide said "althletic" for age 38 should still be like, I don't know, 150 or something? So I was worrying, am I causing stress to my heart? On the other hand it quickly, within a minute got down to 138, and, I have been running for almost 20 years. In my gut it feels like I don't have to worry about it, but the chart doesn't really have those kind of numbers.
Any help here?
Donna