View Single Post
  #34   ^
Old Sat, Dec-19-09, 12:31
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Apparently thyroid dysfunction can do that. Also, your triglycerides are still kind of high. I'd expect a good low carber to have them down well under 100. Like 60ish.

Do you have diabetes and/or pre-diabetes? I think that can be one cause of highish triglycerides too. Oh you must be, you were on metformin.

You might want to look into some of the postings Awriter has been making about her thyroid and how taking some thyroid meds has decreased her cholesterol levels, like 100 points in one month.

When delving into thyroid issues keep this in mind: The lab range is pretty wide and what is represented as normal may not be optimal. So it is important to get your lab test results. Also, it seems that some people create a lot of RT3 and this isn't normally measured. That can mess up things because RT3 and T3 bind to the same receptors but only T3 is active.

Anyway, these are some ideas for you.

How are your D3 levels and do you take fish oil? Both help a lot with the heart, not necessarily cholesterol.

Read up Dr. Davis's blog, he's really good. http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com

If you're concerned enough about this, I'd join Dr. Davis' Track your plaque program and follow his recommendations. But his program is directed towards people with actual arterial plaque, not just high cholesterol numbers. But if you don't want to do that, read his blog and follow his recommendations for supplements for Vit D3, getting your thyroid in optimal order, fish oil, possibly niacin (use slo-niacin, not no-flush) and his dietary recommendations -- low carb diet, no wheat, no corn starch, etc. He gives an overview of all this in his blog but you'd probably get a better idea, faster by joining the program. Ralph, one poster here, is pretty happy to be on that program. But he actually had a heart scan and it showed he had plaque and stuff developing.