View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-18-21, 08:12

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%
Default My approach to keto recipes: SIMPLIFY

When I went low carb, I had to learn how to cook. When I went VLC, I had to make up my own recipes.

The low carb lasagna on this thread, LC Spinach Lasagna--Yummo! is an example of the kind of recipe I love, being easy to make and using all real food.

But often, when I look for a low carb favorite, it's a nightmare of special ingredients and multiple steps. If, like me, you just want to eat, not spend a whole day trying to recreate a high carb recipe down to the mouth feel and the texture: read on.

I have considerable advantages in some ways. I'm only feeding myself, not a family. I have considerable challenges in others, such as my intolerance for gluten/lectins/fiber in all their demonic ways. That's the response to my body to any of them: it's like I've been poisoned on Game of Thrones.

It's not just personal preference that keeps me from doing the pro-chef approach. I have a terrible kitchen, with no counter space, no food processor, and a chronic illness still in the process of healing. So if I get too elaborate, something is going to clog up the sink or catch on fire. Then I have to address THAT. While I'm still hungry

This also cuts back on my ability, once stellar, to make a big batch of something and portion it into the freezer. That's still too much.

Here's my principles:
  • bread substitute: eggs or leaves

I love sandwiches. Getting and assembling deli meats and cheeses are excellent for my needs. I can make Italian cold cuts into a salad. I can have a Reuben omelette, or -- even easier -- I can pile the sandwich makings onto a plate and nuke it.

I spent many a work lunch/event eating "sandwich guts" while the bread part piled up on the side. It's a stark reminder how much of what most people eat is not really food.
  • top of stove, one pan

I can make a personal pan pizza in ten minutes and it's delicious. All I need is a covered little saute pan and a silicon spatula. And I can have any kind of toppings I want!

One of my standbys is slow-cooked brisket. Now that's leftovers. I don't want to hover over the stove. I get very bored
  • it's all food

I can have dairy, so I rely on adding Greek yogurt, sour cream, or cream cheese to my meals. Like my pork rind griddle muffins, where a schmear of cream cheese makes them perfect. I make my own creamy dressings with sour cream or yogurt.

I have a very restricted food list now, but I'm steadily creating a repertoire of recipes I can whip up fast and tastes good. And the best part?

Mostly, my favorites are still with me. Because I concentrate on the FLAVOR above all else.

And REAL food? That's where the flavor is.
Sponsored Links