#14   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-19, 21:30
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Kids are growing rapidly, she explains, so their use of food as fuel is different from the way adults use it. Researchers aren’t exactly sure what those differences are
The incredible demands on kids' bodies seems reasonable for a degree of that, but the way it's worded, makes me feel like, well because they are caterpillars and adults are butterflies so of course it's different.

Quote:
it’s not a palatable diet
On what planet would this be true?

Quote:
Getting 80-90 percent of your calories from fat—which is what’s generally required for keto
That's pretty high. pubmed seems to think it's quite a spectrum and can range down to about 55% fat. This has been so for me. If my fats are too low I am unhappy and want to be noshing, but that doesn't mean it isn't keto. In fact that usually means it IS keto and body wants more fat energy. But if you ate 90% fat and 10-15 carbs, your protein intake would be super low. Aside from the most extreme medical diet that's hardly sane.

(Noting also that most fasting is ketogenic. No idea what % of bodyfat it's using.)

Quote:
It involves eating a lot of rich, heavy foods
That's a feature not a bug :-) Remember the 'not palatable'??

Quote:
with little variety—think fatty meats and gravy on cauliflower.
Yuck. What demented masochist taught this person VLCKD??

It has less variety than 'eat anything in the grocery store' that is true. However 80% of the crap in the grocery store is not food, it's ingestible entertainment.

Quote:
You’re only allowed 10 to 15 grams of carbohydrates per day, and though many dieters stretch that to more like 20 or 30 grams
Usually you're allowed twice stated, and it can be stretched to about 45-50g depending on the person -- also according to various stuff in pubmed. Depends on the person I expect (and possibly the food sources of the carbs given the fiber question).

My only point in ref'ing pubmed is that it required seconds to find on the internet, so it's hardly inaccessible, and it's involved in studies that actually have to measure the state of ketosis in human beings.

Quote:
that’s still only about one banana.
Preferably zero bananas. Maybe if you ate fewer bananas you wouldn't be living on gravy on cauli.

Quote:
A single apple could also get you past that limit depending on its size (though the fiber in an apple means that many dieters don't count those carbs towards their daily limit) and a couple slices of bread likely fulfill the requirement as well.
"News flash: eating high-sugar foods on a low-sugar diet means you can barely eat any of them without maxing out your sugar metric." Also recently discovered, if you sleep during daylight hours, you have fewer daylight hours remaining to enjoy while awake. Scientists are confounded.

Quote:
Without getting into true ketosis, dieters risk ingesting an enormous amount of fat—and potentially a lot of saturated fat, if you’re eating animal meat—without any of the fat-burning effects of ketosis.
Last I heard the accusation against lowcarb was that the nature of the foods caused people to eat fewer calories overall, which regardless of type of diet is usually what these folks thinks matters. Glad to hear they're on the fat-burning-is-good train finally. ...?

Quote:
"The fat is the thing that's problematic for a lot of people on keto," Fung says. "They basically give a pass for any types of fat and a lot of the recipes encourage saturated fats like butter." "To me as a nutritionist, that's pretty scary."
I used to say that nutritionist was what the pretty but stupid people from high school became. Then I met a few people who did that who actually were properly informed about it and quite intelligent. This is one of those careers, like law and politics, where 95% of them are giving the other 5% a bad name.

But, to get any related degree, you'd have to lie about nearly everything in class and on tests. I worked for 14 years for a uni-level textbook mfr and they all say the same thing. Eggs and butter will kill you, grains are absolutely required or you can't be healthy, vitamins and supplements are merely expensive urine, low-carbohydrate diets are "dangerous fad" diets, and my favorite in one -- if you want supplements, just drink energy drinks like Red Bull. (!)

This is typical BS we would have read 20 years ago, so it's kind of surprising I guess that the same BS is still being pushed today. I would think the internet would be gradually educating more people to recognize it as that, though.

I only grieve a bit that there may be people whose lives would be so improved, even saved, by VLCKD's and they may never try them -- or properly -- because some allegedly expert idiot in the press gave them the wrong idea about it.

PJ