Old Tue, Apr-02-19, 11:50

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melilotus
Hi everyone,

Female, 49 years old, starting a very low carbs diet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melilotus
I don't count my carbs. I just try not to eat too many. I eat nuts only once a week and maybe 100 cal a serving (very little), no alcohol (never), sweet potatoes once a month (backed), rice 1/2 portion once a week (brown rice) and fruit only one serving a day (usually: apples, berries, pears and peaces)...

I also eat only chicken, fish and turkey, no red meat. Dairy products rarely (once a month some hard cheese). And no sugar or processed food. I would have some dates (no sugar added) sometimes or raisins (no sugar added) or black chocolate but only a little and only a few times a month.
I think you've gotten some good advice to check out vegetarian low carb options.

While there are some people who can lose weight on a paleo diet, such as the one suggested by Mark's Daily Apple, it isn't a "very low carb diet." It's at least 100g of carbs per day, possibly much more. If you are happy eating a paleo diet and getting the results you want, I think it's a great option. For most people though, this is more of a maintenance level. Many people can't lose weight with this level of carbs, and I think that may be what you're experiencing.

Very low carb (aka, "keto") is under 50g of carbs/day (most people are even lower at 20–30g).

The fruit you are eating is easily 20g–25g per day alone. And if you add one of the other items you mention on a daily basis (rice, sweet potatoes, dates, raisins, etc.) that's easily another 25g. Plus the veggies you're likely eating and incidentals (nuts, cheese) are easily another 20–30g, depending on what you're eating and how much.

This is a guess and you won't know what you're eating until you track every single thing you eat for several weeks. Once you are armed with this information, you can make changes to see how they affect you and you get the results you're looking for. I know people often think tracking is too much of a hassle, but if you're not getting results, you need to get serious rather than vague about what you're doing.
Sponsored Links