View Single Post
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Feb-18-10, 14:13
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 126/123/115 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 27%

You can eat mostly raw without lots of carbs--I've been doing it for a few months now.

If you want to eat nuts, most raw foodists soak them first as this deactivates the enzyme inhibitors in them. After they're soaked you can dehydrate them if you wish. The amount of time varies; just google it and I'm sure you can find a chart.

As for dairy...there are lots of raw cheeses out there. I find that the biggest (and cheapest!) selection is at Trader Joe's. They have a raw cheddar there that's to die for! Much more delicious than pasteurized cheddar. I've only been fortunate enough to have raw milk once, as it's over $12 a gallon here in Arizona.

And for fruit...just try and choose the more low-sugar fruits, such as berries. I like to make smoothies for breakfast, and frozen blueberries/strawberries are a good choice. You can add some cold-pressed flax/coconut oil to up the fats and enhance flavor.

Veggies are pretty easy--just don't eat the ones high in starch. Too many raw cruciferous veggies can be hard on the digestion though, so try not to overdo it.

As for meat...I only eat seafood, though not raw. There are plenty of recipes out there for raw meat though, such as ceviches, tartare, etc. You can kill the bacteria in meat by putting it in the freezer for 14 days, and for seafood you can simply marinate it in an acid, such as whey or lemon juice.

And as some earlier poster suggested, the books Wild Fermentation and Nourishing Traditions (my bible!) are really good. I'd also recommend The Raw Foods Resource Guide, by Jeremy Safron, and any books by Ani Phyo. She is famous in the raw community, though I can't say that she's low-carb.

Oh, and this website is VERY helpful as well:
http://www.rawfoodtalk.com/index.php