View Single Post
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-28-18, 08:53

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I'm a bit of a broken record on Jimmy Moore. For a year he reported measuring out his food daily, tracking protein and carbs as grams and keeping them in a certain range, and maintaining a certain fat percentage. Of course this means that calories are kept at a certain level as well, it's just not put in terms of calories. He also measured blood ketones and glucose daily. I don't know that these last are necessary for everybody--but even if keeping ketones just so isn't necessary for success with the approach he takes, I wonder if it didn't have a value for keeping him focused.

For a full year, this worked, Jimmy lost weight. After the year, he spent that time at the Perfect Health resort that Woo mentions. Also in podcasts after that, I heard him telling people again and again, that while he was glad he did the experiment, being as concerned with every little bit of food that went into his mouth, weighing, taking ketones and blood glucose daily, etc., seemed to him a bit orthorexic. Whatever else it was, it seemed to have worked. If you look at what some type 1 diabetics do to control their blood glucose--if Dr. Bernstein were not type 1 diabetic, his fascination with his blood glucose would be weird, maybe some sort of obsessive compulsive disorder. For him it's life-saving. If somebody counts every scrap of food and gram of carbs and protein and doesn't need to--that might be orthorexic. Doing it only because you need to, even against your natural instinct, is different, that's a corrective measure. People may still act like you're being weird, and that's a problem, lack of support can make things more difficult.