View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-03-20, 16:25

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I heard Dr. Longo on NPR on the Diane Rehm show a few years ago and his ideas were certainly interesting. I'm not sure what benefits the FMD has over just actual fasting. In fact one thing I read was that one of the reasons Longo even came up with the FMD was because he couldn't get any funding to do research on actual fasting, but was able to get funding for studies on fasting mimicking.

His FMD plan appears to be completely Vegan. I don't know if that's a requirement, or just based on his own personal preferences.

I'm quite a fan of Mark Sisson's and here is his take on the FMD:
https://www.marksdailyapple.com/doe...up-to-the-hype/ I did find a macro breakdown of Longo's plan at Mark;s link:
Quote:
The 5-day FMD is a low-protein, high-moderate-carb, moderate-fat diet.

The first day is 1090 calories, with 10% from protein (27 grams), 56% from fat (68 grams), and 34% from carbohydrates (93 grams).

The next four days are 725 calories, with 9% protein (16 grams), 44% fat (35 grams), and 47% carbohydrates (85 grams).

Most of the fat is polyunsaturated and monounsaturated. The protein is plant-based. The carbs come from nuts, seeds, legumes, and grains.

He even came up with a shelf-stable package of FMD food called ProLon. Instead of weighing and measuring your carrots and mac nuts and olives, you could just buy the 5-day supply of dry food and be on your merry way.

Mark is a big fan of Longo and his research but seems to feel there are more ways to improve your health than this one. If you want to purchase Longo's plan it's also about $250 for the 5-day supply. I *think* you may need to get it through a doctor also. But this site gives you a cheaper option for a DIY version of the FMD:
https://foodzie.com/2392/fasting-mi...do-it-yourself/

Longo's plan is higher in carbs that many here follow, but it's still quite low by SAD standard, since of course the calorie count is long - as I recall something like 70-90g carbs daily.

I've been playing around with actual fasting lately. To me it actually seems easier to eat *nothing* than to eat a very restricted amount of calories!