View Single Post
  #69   ^
Old Sat, May-23-09, 14:40
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

I'm copying this post from another forum just in case it goes missing.

This study Dietary Enrichment with Medium Chain Triglycerides (AC-1203) Elevates Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids in the Parietal Cortex of Aged Dogs: Implications for Treating Age-Related Cognitive Decline. shows us that that adding MCTs (that are found in coconut oil) to the diet of dogs with “age-related cognitive decline” increased the levels of omega-3 fatty acids in the parietal cortex of the brain. This is the part of the brain severely affected in Alzheimer’s disease.

Omega-3 fatty acids are found in fish, but they are not in coconut oil however coconut oil is a good source of MCT's and MCT oil is made from coconut oil.

They think the MCTs liberated omega-3s from fat stores already present in the body so they could then be used in the brain. MCT's because they are more readily broken down get your body more used to burning fat rather than glucose.

It could also be that Changing the oil in your diet changes the adverse impact some oils have on your omega 3 levels

It looks likeThose oils highest in omega 6 are best avoided so that's another good reason for using coconut oil instead.

Stephan Whole Health Source has written a lot about omega 6 and the omega 3 ratio, and it's relatively easy to understand his explanation of what can be a complicated story.

Because Coconut Oil is not patentable there is absolutely no money to be made in promoting it's use. (hence the need to patent ketone agents)

In the UK, "Ethnic" type grocers serving the Asian Community sell coconut oil for around £2 a pot. If you go to the high street health food shops you can pay £12 for the same size pot albeit the health food version is "Organic" and may have a more coconutty flavour. (this may/may not be an advantage if you want to use it in cookery)

However, if you search online you should be able to find suppliers who offer BULK BUY containers 10 litres for £75 delivered in the UK. Jimmy Moore in the USA also buys his CO in bulk. The stuff I buy works out about £3.50 a pot (delivered) and it's organic, cold pressed and very tasty. I'd also buy the Indian grocers CO as well but we live in an area where there aren't any Indian/Pakistan grocers so I have to wait till I'm in Nottingham or Leicester.

Most people with Alzheimer's will die from infection.

Coconut oil is antiviral, antifungal and antibacterial. It attacks and kills viruses that have a lipid (fatty) coating, such as herpes, HIV, hepatitis C, the flu, and mononucleosis. It kills the bacteria that cause pneumonia, sore throats, dental cavities, urinary tract infections, meningitis, gonorrhea, food poisoning and many, many more bacterial infections. It kills the fungus/yeast infections that cause candida, ringworm, athletes foot, thrush, jock itch, diaper rash and more.

I'm happy to produce the science papers that back each of those claims but I realise the bombarding the site with links may be hard work for the mods and make the brains of readers suffer from undue fatigue.

But we can also consider whether CO MAY be useful in prevention?

It seems sense to me, as you have the choice about whether to choose Coconut oil or an Omega 6 vegetable oil that is likely to cause inflammation, to choose the oil that is most likely to help the brain/body deal inflammation and infection is common sense. This isn't new information. We've known since 1999 That Coconut Oil and Fish Oil diminish production of proinflammatory cytokines.
This indicates these fatty acids might be useful therapies in acute and chronic inflammatory diseases.
If it turns out that APP and Aβ are damage response proteins produced in response to low grade inflammation, then the key to prevention will be a diet/supplement/lifestyle that keeps inflammation at bay. Hence my interest in Coconut oil, fish oil (omega 3) and Vitamin D3. All good anti inflammatory agents known to work in the brain.