#68   ^
Old Thu, Apr-18-19, 08:06

Plan: Higher P/Moderate F + C
Stats: 152/146.6/130 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 25%

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb712
Hi, Daisy Dawn! Yes, I'm still doing Atkins 40 six months and 12 pounds later and am having great success with it. I feel like I can do it for life, which is the whole idea.

I eat real whole foods, too, except for Carb Smart Vanilla "frozen dairy dessert," which makes me happy and agrees with me. I sometimes rebel against the portion control and tracking philosophy from time to time but have about come to terms with the fact that that's exactly what I need. The funny thing is when you're more mindful of what you're eating and how much, it's just as satisfying as when you eat all you want according to hunger. A lot of us (like me) can recognize hunger and satiety to a great degree but not altogether and often eat out of boredom, stress, etc. So I digress but yeah, it's great and it works. After a while you put a collection of protein-vegetables-fat meals together that you know are balanced and filling as well as a couple of snacks or special treats and desserts that work for you.

Going up to 50 g NC a day is a fine goal on Atkins 40. You just start at 40 and work your way up over a couple of weeks. Or, of course, you could start at 100 and work your way down. I find the 42 g NC limit perfect for maintenance though I seldom hit it; on a typical day I wind up around 30-35. It's nice to have that wiggle room.

Atkins DANDR 2002 is what I read several years ago to get started and is still what I fall back on. It's good to read an Atkins book that resonates with you and use it as a guide for life, but the website has handy tools that help you stay on track.

I hope I offered some useful information here amid my babbling. I'm happy to share it. It's true, there aren't many folks around here, at least not the vocal ones, who follow the newer plans.

Thanks for your response! I need to get a hold of the DANDR 2002 book-will check my library system today. I'm just starting out on this whole lower carb thing, after years of calorie tracking/counting. That's worked well for me, but I'm just bored with it and want to try something new, hence how I ended up on this site

I don't have any interest in going very low carb, especially since I'm in maintenance and just working on a few pounds of vanity weight/winter creep. But, something like the Atkins 40 plan sounds like it's a bit more relaxed with the carbs, which appeals to me. I know myself and I need some sort of plan outline/structure, but at this point in the game I don't need anything too structured.

I eat a lot of veggies-currently switching out the higher carb ones for more leafy greens etc, and I turn into a toddler when it comes to weighing out portion sizes of those-so silly but I despise weighing out my greens!
I love my food scale but it's always such a mess to weigh them out and they're so low carb/calories-it just irritates me to have to do it lol. I'm thinking of maybe doing the Atkins 40 plan, but then not measure out/count my non-starchy veggies? So it would be more of an Atkins 50/60 plan I guess lol.

Sorry, totally rambling here, just thinking out loud and trying to decide what direction I want to go in