#15   ^
Old Thu, Aug-27-20, 07:18

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
Also, didn't Snackwells and other processed treats start using and promoting fructose instead of sugar because it doesn't raise BG like glucose+sucrose? Thus giving those who monitor BG a false sense of security. It doesn't surprise me that fatty liver disease is on the rise. My 80 yr-old T2 diabetic and processed-carb-loving aunt has it despite being a teetotaler for the last 60 years and has been accused of lying about her drinking habits for years. She does like eggs, but I doubt her doctor told her to eat them.

I remember reading about how fructose didn't raise blood sugar, although I don't recall that information being associated with Snackwells, just some general information I heard about somewhere. But that was back before the internet - might have just been in some little newspaper article.

Since my blood sugar problem was that my blood sugar would drop like a rock after eating starch or sugar, when I heard that fructose didn't raise blood sugar, I started intentionally looking for foods that mentioned fructose in the ingredients instead of sugar. At some point, I started seeing a lot of foods that had high fructose corn syrup in them - so thought those would be ok too. I remember also hearing somewhere that honey had fructose in it - so I also started using honey as much as possible as a substitute for sugar. Of course I had no idea that all that fructose would inevitably cause even more problems than regular sugar did. I might have been able to avoid so many problems if google had existed back then.

Back in the 70's, I remember the little packages of cookies and candies in the diabetic treat section of grocery stores - might have been Estee brand. They were awful in comparison to regular cookies, but I tried them because they were labeled as sugar free, but I remember at some point that their ingredients included fructose.

At any rate, it was when I started looking for foods that had fructose or HFCS that I started gaining weight, but it was still difficult to pinpoint what was causing it. I knew that when I was eating the hypoglycemia diet in the 70's, I didn't eat starch or sugar, but by the mid-80's, I was looking for fructose instead of sugar in the ingredients lists, and also falling for the supposed health properties of whole grains too. By the early 2000's, I was a complete mess.